Just click on the picture to see it bigger... Bigger is DEFINITELY better!!!! :)

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

He Made The Team!!

Well cuts came and went and my little brother Blair made the Winninpeg Blue Bombers football team!!! We are so proud of him and can't wait to see him August 10th when he flies into Vancouver to play against the B.C. Lions! Here's the latest article on Blair from the Winnipeg newspaper:

Canucks' showtime:
Atkinson, Picard ready to prove themselves
By JIM BENDER, SUN MEDIA

Although they are still "futures," patience has paid off for a pair of Canadian prospects.
Receiver Blair Atkinson spent the entire 2006 seasons practising with the Blue Bombers but never got a chance to suit up once. Dominic Picard suited up for the odd Winnipeg game but was essentially limited to converts.

But Atkinson will make his CFL debut when the Bombers open the regular season against the Eskimos in Edmonton on Thursday. And Picard will start at centre.
"I came out last year, practised for the whole year and waited my turn," Atkinson said yesterday. "This is my turn and hopefully, I can make the most of it."
Although the former University of Manitoba Bison is now one of only two healthy Canadian receivers left, his status is the result of unexpectedly turning heads at training camp.

"I feel that if I hadn't had at least a decent training camp, I wouldn't be here right now," said the 6-foot-4, 213-pound Langley, B.C. native. "I'd be out somewhere else looking for a job. But I had a good training camp and I guess that's the result of it, you get some good playing time ...
"But I'm not out of the woods yet. We've got a bunch of Canadian receivers hurt still. But I can only go out and worry about my own status."

Atkinson, 26, will likely back up veteran Jamie Stoddard as the other non-import pass catchers -- O'Neil Wilson, Arjei Franklin and Adam Eckert -- remain in sick bay. But he has already been handed special teams duties.
"I don't think I'll be nervous," said Atkinson, who spent Sunday night getting congratulatory calls from his ex-Bison teammates. "I'll be anxious, though. I've been waiting to play a regular-season game for about a year now. I didn't get any action last year so, I'm anxious to get out there and make an impression to the rest of the league and to our team."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that article Jill, you all must be so proud!!
We should all try and get tickets together for the August BC Lions game!!
Luv Auntie Kel

Anonymous said...

Jill.....does not surprise me at all. He has worked so hard for this moment and totally deserves it. Gord and I would love to go to the game, is a big group going to go together? We could have our own cheering section!!!!
Jessica

Jillian Kirby said...

Hey
Yeah, we're going to get a group of tickets together (hopefully). We'll be sending out an email shortly to see who's interested in getting tickets. Ted and I may just get them all at once so that we can all sit together.
I'll let you know!