Just click on the picture to see it bigger... Bigger is DEFINITELY better!!!! :)

Thursday, October 11, 2007

I think I just may homeschool...

So off we went this morning to take Ash to school. The second I got out of class I was bombarded by irrate mothers who were absolutely out of their minds with what the school board has planned for Aldergrove.

Basically, they are proposing to implement a "middle school" within the high school. The grades will be grade k-5 in the elementary schools, grade 6-9 in the middle school and grade 10-12 in the high school. Now you can imagine the uproar and concern that grade sixers (10 year olds in some cases) will be put in the same school environment as grader twelvers (18 year olds in some cases). Realistically, there will be no middle school at all... it will be in name only. All the kids will be in the same building using the same facilities and hanging out in the same smoke pit. LOVELY.

I went to a meeting tonight to learn more about it (I know, I know, I have two years to worry about this... but I worry now!). To be honest with you, the school board bigwigs did nothing but makes us all worry more about this decision and confirm to the angry mob of parents that we have no say. Pretty much, it will be voted through in late October and implemented next year.

I won't have my children in this situation... and made my opinion QUITE clear at the meeting this evening. If they think my pretty little 11 year old will be in the same building as those horny 17 and 18 year olds, they've got another thing coming! And that is just the tip of the iceberg and the tip of my concerns.

I think I just may homeschool. UGH.

Edited to add: I'm not really considering home schooling for MANY reasons... I was just being silly. But you can bet we'll be looking into private school!!! With the waitlists in the district, we'll have to get on that soon.

3 comments:

Kelly & Larry said...

Hi Jii,

Great venting!!
Wow that is just amazingly ignorant! That's our Government for ya!!
Did they mention at all lack of funding??
I have said it over & over & over that I worry so much for this new little upcoming Generation!! Between schooling, economy, etc. it just doesn't seem fair. Thank goodness those babies have your Generation that has been givin the intelligent genes to look out for them and have that option to consider home schooling!!
Your Community may just end up having a shortage of Population??
What ever comes Ash or Jake's way it will be just fine as they have to amazing parents that put them Number #1 and will put up and defend any challenges that may happen to come in their path!!
Keep up the fight Jill, and home schooling isnt't such a bad idea you would "ACE" it!! Or should I say they would to have you!!
Luv Ya Honey
Auntie Kel
xo xo xo xo

Anonymous said...

Hi Honey

Well, if it isn't one thing to worry about, it's another...and now it's worrying in advance!
As noble as it is, I can't imagine you trying home school on top of your already full schedule!!!
I wouldn't begin to know how to go about it, but I think it's time that "the people" took back control of the government! I know it's an American quote, but I think it should apply here in Canada also and that is "government FOR the people and BY the people". The current officials seem to think that they speak for everybody, which they obviously don't. How do you get that across to them without a revolution?
Have you thought about looking into private schooling? I don't know how feasible that would be financially or maybe if enough of you Moms got together, you could start your own private school instead of many of you trying to do the home schooling on your own.
"Where there's a will, there's a way" I've heard it said.
Anyway Honey, keep us posted on any developments.
Kiss those little imps for me.
Lovin' ya lots, Gram XOX

Jillian Kirby said...

Thanks guys! Ugh... I'm just so frustrated... and just to clarify, i was just kidding about the homeschooling! heehee! I don't think I could do it and I don't think kids benefit from it (they lack so much mainly socialization!). But yep Gram, we are DEFINITELY looking into private school for them. There's just such a long wait list, we'll have to get going on that. I plan to go to the schoolboard main office Monday morning. Wish me luck!! :)
Love you both!!